7.19.2008

true courage is not having that security.

so, i have been reading a beautiful book by Shane Claiborne & Chris Haw entitled, "Jesus for President" (No, they would not vote for Jesus if he were running for Office.) Read the book, you may hate it, or you may fall in love with the freedoms that are realized in its wisdom.

2 interesting, ironic and eerie things happened to me this morning while i was working barista at IKE Box. I was reading "War Stories", a chapter from "Jesus for President" and I checked my facebook for kicks (yes, on slow saturday's, i admittedly resort to socializing on the internet occasionally.) A friend from high school, whom I never knew well but whom I was acquaintances with, Brandon Dye invited me to be his friend on facebook. I went to his profile and checked on how he was doing and what he was into. I noticed that he had "United States Air Force" listed as one of his businesses, so out of fear and neglect, I denied his request. I had fear because in reading this book, I have decided that I am completely opposed to the ideals and teachings of the U.S. and I will from now on, to death, serve only one master as well as i can, Jesus. I denied Brandon because I figured, why make friends with an enemy? I continued reading the book and quickly realized my logic was twisted and I searched for Brandon on facebook and eventually found him again and requested that he be my friend, besides, I am supposed to love my enemies.

The second interesting thing that happened was also while I was working at IKE Box today. Two girls and a guy came in, loudly, obnoxiously, around the ages of 27ish, and inquired about ordering an ICEE, made of 0% juice. The guy quickly asked if we accept the "military discount" - i replied, "I'm not sure." He said, "so you don't know?" and I again replied, "I don't know, I don't think so." He was apparently ok with this, because they went on to order 1 large, 32 oz. White Cherry ICEE (again, 0% cherry.) As I was serving their ICEE, he was loudly pronouncing that he loved life, he has "a job, money, the lord, he's 27, he serves in the military, and he's happy."

Why the hell are these things smacking me in the face? Or have I just been blind my whole life?

If you claim to love the one true God. then you need to consider how devoted you should be to a nation of the world. educate yourself on both sides and make a decision, but it is quite clear that we are to choose one or the other.

-andrew t.


currently listening to "Station" by: Russian Circles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home